FlipVideo cameras premiered in September 2007 and quickly sold millions of “the world’s smallest camcorders.” Finally it was affordable and pain free to capture short video clips and get them live online quickly (no cables, no special software, no adapters, fits in your pocket). Who wouldn’t flip over that?
And with the Flip MinoHD and the newly released SlideHD, the image quality has moved up a notch into the High Definition playground. Awesome right? Well, it depends.
What are you using the footage to market?
If you’re a business owner working hard to increase the perceived value of your products and services, your FlipVideo footage could be received as “Flippant.”
Low quality audio and difficulty getting steady shots using a small device often equals subpar footage. Or worse, it completely distracts your viewers from your message or content.
Consumers are on a growing diet of ever increasing high quality online video. Sure FlipVideo is easy, cheap and quick. No doubt. But is “easy,” “cheap” and “quick” the message you want to send?
Don’t get us wrong – there are many smart and creative uses for FlipVideo footage. For non-profits, this technology has been a godsend. For organizations wanting to put non-critical video capture into the hands of those less experienced, it may be a good choice. For business owners engaging in online marketing, it is best to carefully consider the technologies and experience needed when the messaging demands high quality.
REASONS TO FLIP
- When unique access or point of view is more important than the quality of footage – Example: Tony-Winner Lillias White capturing Flip footage for broadwayworld.com backstage CLICK HERE
- Personal communications (indeed, this is the primary intended use for these devices)
- Events where you need not hear the audio well – the visual can stand alone to tell the story
- A live event that requires pocket mobile coverage from the crowd – Example: New Year’s Eve at Times Square
- An impromptu news event where there is no other coverage
- During a site visit for visual note-taking or as a tool to capture test or rehearsal footage
AVOIDING FLIPPANT FOOTAGE
- Moments/messaging that require pristine audio
- Web videos on your home website – these help brand your company, so it’s best to keep FlipVideos on blogs or social media sites
- Footage that captures many unknowing “bystanders” – it’s always best to film people’s best faces with quality audio, lighting and an experienced professional
- Critical interviews, live events that build your brand, and situations that convey your PR message or speak to your company’s character
- Any circumstance where higher quality video will have a positive impact on your audience by increasing perceived value, supporting your message or strengthening your image
The take away message here? No one tool is the only solution for video or online marketing. Determining the right tool will always depend on what you are capturing and the context of the media online. Don’t do it just because it’s easy and accessible! How will you stand out from your competition that way? Miceli Productions is creative and savvy and will help you think through solutions for your unique online marketing needs. Call 203.936.7761 today for your free web video consultation.Read More